Transformative Growth Counseling Foundation (TGCF) is a 501 c3 non-profit community mental health organization that operates with the following mission:
- To provide access to mental health counseling to underserved people in West/ South/Northwest Illinois. Underserved persons include: low income, children & youth, people living in rural areas, underinsured, and those who have a culture, ethnicity/race, religion, residency status, sexuality, or gender that is not the “majority”.
- To contribute to the body of knowledge in the fields of clinical and community psychology by conducting research, sharing research results with academic institutions and community organizations, attending research conferences, and offering clinical internships and student learning opportunities.
- Empower people with accessible community mental health groups and workshops as an alternative to individual therapy. These groups and workshops are meant to provide psychosocial support, recovery and education and will not refuse people solely based on inability to pay for services.
- Serve as a clinical psychology training site for graduate-level interning counselors from some of the best psychology programs in the state – such as Northwestern, Depaul and Roosevelt. These counselors help serve the community by providing sliding scale therapy services to clients in need, while specializing in their field of study.
- Provide community mental health and peer-led social support to students and staff in higher education institutions, through collaborative process with local colleges.