Led by curiosity and compassion, Mary Holmes cares deeply about understanding clients as people, not problems. Culturally humble, trauma-informed, sex positive, and LGBTQIA+ friendly, she believes we each live our best lives when we are seen, heard, and supported with compassion, and without judgment. Mary works with clients to provide “safe base” in which to show, explore and confront our vulnerabilities, emotions and struggles. Mary specializes in mindfulness techniques, anxiety reduction, motivational interviewing, attachment science and interpersonal therapy. She has worked in community mental health, providing therapy and support services for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness on Chicago’s South Side, through Thresholds, a regionally and nationally acclaimed treatment facility.
Mary is able to treat the following areas for individuals and couples for:
- Addiction (e.g. alcohol, drugs, internet, sex and gambling)
- Anxiety – testing, social, phobias, general anxiety.
- Bipolar & other mood disorders
- Conflict & Communication
- Eating disorders and weight management
- Family Counseling
- Men’s issues
- Obesity and Weight Management
- Parenting & Blended Families
- Personality Disorders
- Psychosis/ Severe Mental Illness
- Self-Esteem and Self-Worth
- Sex Positive counseling for LGBTQIA and alternative relationships.
- Sexual & Gender Identification/Orientation
- Sexual Assault
- Stress Management
- Student-Life Experiance
- Suicidal thoughts & attempts.
- Trauma across the lifespan.
Mary earned her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology at Governors State University in 2011 with a focus on mindfulness and stress management. She is now continuing her education at Governors State in a graduate program for Clinical Psychology, which will result in Master’s degree. Mary is a Member of Psi Chi Honors Society and uses she/her/hers pronouns. Mary works with clients who are self pay or medicaid/medicare, offers sliding scale appointments and Saturday appointments in Naperville.