Parenting doesn’t have to be a struggle with your child or family. If you’re facing behavioral or communication issues with your child, we can help!
We have spent thousands of hours working with schools, universities, churches, parents, children, and families to gain a better understanding of how to effectively and successfully parent children, in this ever changing, fast paced, tech-filled world. The good news is, you’re not alone: all families go through periods of hardships and struggle. It’s normal. But, that doesn’t mean we couldn’t use a little help sometimes; especially when it comes to our children. Fortunately, there is over 100 years of research in child psychology; what works, what doesn’t, and what’s healthiest for the child and family, is no mystery – the research is there – let’s use it! That’s what we specialize in; using, customizing and applying the latest research in child psychology in ways that help your child reach his or her, fullest potential.
Poor choice of peer groups, being on the phone too much, and getting bullied – these are the three most common concerns we hear from parents.
Today’s children are different. Let’s look at how:
- More children than ever are being raised by grandparents than generations previous to this. Research shows multi-generational homes greatly benefit children’s self esteem and attachment to family.
- By the age of 8, children spend 40 hours of time per week in front of the TV.
- 90% of children have either witnessed, participated in, or been a victim of, bullying, either online or in person.
- Children start using technology by 4 months of age. However, they also have access to the most cutting edge, free, educational TV and Apps, never seen before in previous generations.
- Seven out of ten children growing up in college educated, middle to high income homes, will experience trauma at some point in their childhood. That number is higher for homes with lower incomes or families living in communities with high rates of violence.
- 66% of females will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives. Children are the most susceptible to this type of trauma.
- Some of our communities and towns in Dupage County, are plagued by a heroin epidemic that has, at some point, touched almost all our children’s or families’ lives – either personally, or through people you or your child, knows of.
- Youth who are millennials, will be the most educated generation yet.
Our children have the beauty of being connected globally, technologically, and socially, through a variety of different methods. From play groups, to the school soccer team, to being connected to friends through SnapChat, today’s children have greater access to everything. And sometimes, that access, causes problems.
Access can mean a lot of different things, depending on the child and situation. It can mean access to libraries, community engagement, team sports and friends, or it can mean access to excess toys and treats (leading to feelings of entitlement), drugs, alcohol, internet and making poor choices. When we find our children struggling – we wonder as parents, what to do next – and when to step in and get professional care. We can help you answer that question; we offer a free child, youth or family assessment so parents can get some answers and assistance with the struggles that brought you in today, without feeling any obligation or worrying about cost.
We help parents with children ages 3 and up, improve their relationships overall with each other, while teaching children new coping skills for distress, emotional intelligence and building up resiliency. Using a variety of treatment modalities that are specially adapted to meet your child’s specific needs, we help kids and families across the following areas:
- Anxiety & Depression
- Art Therapy
- Blended Families
- Christian Counseling
- Communication Difficulties
- Conflict Resolution
- Experimenting with drugs or alcohol
- Family Therapy
- Low / No Motivation
- Oppositional Defiant & Conduct disorders
- Overusing Technology
- Parent Abandonment
- Play therapy
- Potty training / Soiling issues
- Pre-Adoption / Adoption Counseling & Consultation
- Psychological assessments.
- Sand Therapy
- Teenage Defiance
- Trauma, Abuse & Neglect
- Substance Abuse
When working with your child or family, we utilize a variety of customized treatment approaches that include play, sand, clay and art therapies; child-centered therapy, Cognitive behavioral and family systems therapy.